The vast majority of people are ashamed of drink-driving, study reveals – ARE YOU??
Have you seen this stolen Audi?
Tuesday 17th February 2015
Have you seen this distinctive Audi A3 :The white ‘S Line’ Audi has distinctive grey alloy wheels, a rear spoiler and blacked out rear windows. It was fitted with the registration plate GU61 NJK
It was stolen during a burglary in Beaumont Park, Littlehampton, between 10.30pm on Sunday 8th February and 1.30am on Monday 9th February 2015
Intruders broke into a home in the road, stole the keys to the Audi and then took the car from the driveway.
Sussex Police launched Operation Magpie to tackle burglary across the county.
Investigator Katy Wood said: “I would ask for anyone who saw that car being driven in the Littlehampton or Worthing areas in the early hours of Monday morning to contact us.
“I would also urge anyone to get in touch if they see a similar vehicle to the one in the picture, even if the registration plate is different.”
Anyone with information should email email@example.com quoting serial 36 of 09/02, call 101 or contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111
Warning about higher strength ‘ecstasy’ in Worthing Area
Monday 16th February 2015
Whilst not currently having been reported in the Arun District, the local police in Worthing have become aware that there may be a supply of ecstasy tablets in circulation in the town with a higher level of MDMA, of a type which have been linked to a number of people in other parts of the country being hospitalised after taking them.
A number of yellow tablets marked with a ‘UPS’ logo were handed to police officers by door staff at a licensed premises in Worthing on the weekend before last (7 to 8 February).
Sergeant Mandy Symes from the Adur and Worthing Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “While we obviously do not condone the criminal use of this drug, this clearly presents an increased risk to those who purchase and use this drug.
There have so far been no reports locally or, as far as we are aware, elsewhere in Sussex, of anyone seeking medical help as a result, but we take this issue very seriously and we want to see these drugs removed from circulation and those unfortunately addicted within our communities protected.”
The purpose of this message is to both raise awareness amongst current users and to ensure that partner agencies involved in the treatment and engagement with those who are addicted can brief their staff and clients and raise awareness.”
If anyone has information in relation to this particular batch of drugs or any wider drugs related information they should call Sussex Police on 101, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Your information will be treated seriously and in confidence.”
Burglaries at Army Cadet site in Bognor
Monday 16th February 2015
The Army Cadet Hall at Chichester Road, Bognor, has been targeted by thieves for the second time in just over a month. Thieves broke in on 29th December 2014 and stole all the equipment and electrical goods needed to run the club. This has had an enormous impact on the staff and members.
It is believed that the same suspects returned to try to break in again, between Monday evening (9th February) and Wednesday morning (11th February) but fortunately they were unable to get in on this occasion.
If you saw anyone acting suspiciously, or have been offered equipment relating to the Army Cadets, please get in touch with Sussex Police, via email@example.com by calling 101, quoting serial 528 of 11/2.
PC Jackie Shears said; “The burglary came soon after the cadets achieved an outstanding award from the Lord Lieutenant of West Sussex for raising £3000 for charity.
Dave Merrett, Sergeant Instructor at the site, says “t is not the staff that lose out from these thieves, but it directly affects the young Army Cadets who look forward to the activities that they do each week.”
Man robbed on footpath at Littlehampton
Friday 6th February 2015
Police are appealing for witnesses to an incident in which a 21-year-old man was robbed while using a “dog walk” footpath south of the A259 Worthing Road at Littlehampton.
The path links the Cornfield School and Highdown Drive, and the incident took place between 7.00pm and 7.45pm on Thursday (5th February).
The victim had reached a fork in the path when he was approached by two men with East European accents who asked him for a light before assaulting him and stealing his mobile phone.
He suffered cuts and grazes to his face and a wound to his left arm before managing to run off and raise the alarm. He was later treated for his injuries at Worthing Hospital.
His assailants were both white males. One was 5’8″, stocky, clean shaven, wearing a full grey unbranded tracksuit with the hood up. He had gold rings on his fingers.
The second man was 6′, in his 20s, of medium build, wearing a red hooded top with the hood up and a dark coloured scarf across his lower face. He was also wearing black jeans.
Police are investigating and anyone who saw what happened, noticed two men acting suspiciously in the area or who may have other information is asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 101, quoting serial 1300 of 5/1
Police donate £500 to 1st Rustington Scout Group
Wednesday 4th February 2015
Sussex Police has donated £500 to benefit youngsters at the 1st Rustington Scouts Group.
The money will enable the group to buy a catering tent and camping equipment for use by its Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. The youngsters, aged between six and 18 years, go on camping trips and take part in many outdoor activities, some of which contribute towards earning badges and awards.
Marcus Jordon, one of the scout leaders, was delighted with the donation, which will enable the group to have a large dedicated kitchen area on the campsite.
The donation comes from the Police Property Act Fund (PPAF), made up of monies received by police from property confiscated by order of the court and then sold
Cyclist injured in collision with car, Littlehampton
Tuesday 3rd February 2015
Shortly before 3.00pm on Monday (2nd February) police and ambulance services were called to the roundabout at the junction of the B2140 East Street and Fitzalan Road, Littlehampton, where a car and a pedal cycle had been in collision. The cyclist, a 73-year-old local man, suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries, and was taken to Worthing Hospital for treatment. A 30-year-old local woman driving the car, silver Vauxhall Zafira, was unhurt
Operation Dragonfly: Drink-driver caught after asking police to jump start his car
More Awards for Littlehampton Neighbourhood Watch Chairman
Wednesday 28th January 2015
On Tuesday 27th January 2015 the Lord-Lieutenant of West Sussex, Mrs Susan Pyper, and the Chairman of West Sussex County Council, Cllr Mrs Amanda Jupp, awarded Mike Cullern, Chairman of Littlehampton Town Ward & District Neighbourhood Watch, with a Certificate of Achievement. The citation was read out to the attendees by the Deputy Lieutenant, Mrs Lilian Holdsworth, and then this prestigious award was presented by Cllr Mrs Jupp.
The guests at the New Millennium Chamber of Littlehampton Town Council included Mike’s family, the Vice Chairman of WSCC, Cllr Nigel Peters, the Mayor of Littlehampton, Cllr Mrs Jill Long, John Wright MBE, Chair of the Sussex Neighbourhood Watch Federation, PS Anna Gent, other senior members of the Sussex Neighbourhood Watch Federation, members of the Littlehampton Town Ward & District Neighbourhood Watch, associates and representatives from Littlehampton Town Council, Arun District Council and the Traders Association.
The award was made in recognition of the work Mike has done during the past three years within Neighbourhood Watch locally, in raising ethnic and community integration awareness within the town wards.
Directly after this presentation another award was made on behalf of the Chairman of the Neighbourhood & Home Watch Network, James Madden, by John Wright MBE, for Mike’s outstanding contribution to the work of Neighbourhood Watch.
Speaking after the awards Mike said: “It has been a very challenging year, but I am very proud of the group’s achievements, and it is very gratifying that our hard work is finally being recognised, although there is still some way to go with regard to ethnic and community integration.”
In December 2014 Mike was nominated for an award at the BBC Sussex & Surrey Radio Awards ceremony held at the South Lodge Hotel, Horsham. At the ceremony the history and activities of the group were highlighted, before Mike was presented with a certificate to highlight his pro-active role in the Citizens Award category.
East Preston man imprisoned for importing illegal stun guns
Monday 12th January 2015
An investigation by detectives from the Sussex Police Serious Organised Crime Unit has resulted in an East Preston man going to prison for five and a half years for illegally importing taser ‘stun guns’ disguised as torches. Aaron Davies aged 30 of Sea Road, East Preston, was sentenced at Chichester Crown Court on Friday 9th January 2015, having been found guilty following a trial which finished on the previous day. He was convicted of importing prohibited weapons, 22 stun guns disguised as torches, into the country with intent to evade a prohibition, and with possession of them. Stun Guns are prohibited weapons and contrary to Section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968. The devices are not the same as taser devices used by police forces in the UK. They are more powerful and have no legitimate use in this country. Davies was also sentenced to an additional nine months in prison for separate counterfeit goods offences. The prosecution followed an investigation in which Davies home address and his work place, a business unit at the Rudford Industrial Estate in Ford, were searched by officers in May 2013. The investigation began in April 2013 when Border Agency staff at Coventry intercepted a Parcelforce parcel originating from China. The customs declaration listed the contents as ‘Flashlight 7′ but when they opened the package they discovered seven boxes each containing a stun gun device disguised as a torch. The parcel was destined for Davies’ work address at Ford, Bulldog Enterprise Ltd, and on 1st May 2013 Sussex detectives searched the address and arrested him. His business dealt with electrical good such as toys, car sales, as well as valeting. He would bulk purchase items and try and sell on for profit. The search uncovered 13 identical stun guns hidden in the suspended ceiling void. In his car were found two more boxed stun guns hidden in the spare tyre void in the boot. Davies’ work computer was seized and evidence obtained showing that he had been actively tracking parcels en-route to him from China, including the parcel that had been intercepted the previous month.
Also seized during the search were various counterfeit goods that he was selling or intending to sell on eBay. Davies had previously had numerous eBay accounts suspended resulting from his selling activities and outstanding debts over goods and payments. He admitted that he had looked at various methods of circumventing his ban from eBay so he could continue to do business on the site. At a previous separate hearing he pleaded guilty to ten counterfeit goods offences.
Detective Inspector Till Sanderson said; “These devices are very powerful and dangerous. Anyone who has information about someone offering them for sale, or possessing some should contact police via 101.”
West Sussex Divisional Commander Martin Walker to retire
Friday 9th January 2015
West Sussex Divisional Commander Chief Superintendent Martin Walker has announced his retirement from Sussex Police after 30 years service.
Chief Superintendent Martin Walker has been Divisional Commander in West Sussex for the past six years.
On announcing his retirement, Martin said: “It has been an honour to serve the people of West Sussex alongside so many professional and dedicated police officers and staff, partners and volunteers who together bring peace and justice to our communities. Whilst policing looks very different from when I first joined, the core principles of protecting the public and catching criminals remain at the heart policing. I will continue to deliver these principles until the day I retire.”
Amongst his achievements, Martin chaired the West Sussex Think Family Partnership Board supporting hundreds of families in need across West Sussex; set up a multi-agency approach to help reduce missing children at risk of child sexual exploration; and partnered with local churches to deliver projects reducing crime and supporting the vulnerable.
Chief Superintendent Steve Whitton who is currently the Temporary Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove, will be taking over the role of West Sussex Divisional Commander in March following Martin’s retirement.
Martin said: “Steve is a highly experienced and capable police commander. Having worked on West Sussex in a number of roles during his service, Steve is well placed to lead the policing service in the county for the next few years. I wish him every success.”
Son of village policeman Bob Walker, Martin spent some of his childhood growing up in Buxted village police station before moving to Burgess Hill. “I remember a police sign outside our home, the front room a police office and police motorcycle parked on the front drive.” Martin recalls.
Martin joined the Metropolitan Police back in 1985 where he served in the Brixton and Poll Tax riots and the Clapham rail disaster, moving back to Sussex as the Section Inspector for Steyning. Martin was then promoted through the ranks serving as the District Commander for Adur and head of the force’s Tactical Firearms Unit.
Louise Goldsmith, Leader of West Sussex County Council, said: “On behalf of the 800,000 plus residents of West Sussex I give my sincere and heartfelt thanks to Martin for all he has done for this county during his long and distinguished career with Sussex Police. I wish him a happy and healthy retirement and I offer him my personal thanks for all his support of our Think Family work. He has been a great friend to West Sussex County Council.”
Chief Constable Giles York said: “Chief Superintendent Martin Walker has completed a successful and distinguished career in policing with two forces.
“The world is a very different place today from when he joined the Metropolitan Police in 1985. Martin’s personal professionalism and commitment throughout the years has made his contribution to modernising police today as cutting edge as ever, demonstrated in his support and implementation of multi-agency missing person teams dedicated to making some of our most vulnerable even safer.
This passion for delivering better policing for the public is matched by his support within the service with critical influence on developing leadership and investing in his staff. He leaves a fantastic legacy and I wish him well for his chosen future.
“I am pleased that Sussex Police has a depth of talent to draw on when experienced leaders move on, and I believe Chief Superintendent Steve Whitton has excellent experience in operational policing, partnership working and rounded leadership to be an impressive and effective successor.”